Meet ecoATM, The Reverse Vending Machine That Takes Your Phone & Spits Out Cash
It’s essentially a reverse vending machine for phone sales — or, put another way, it’s the concept of Gazelle (or any other online cell phone/gadget buyback service) made into a kiosk. Insert old phone, get money back.
How it works:
- The soon-to-be-seller finds a real-world kiosk (likely in a mall, grocery store, or other location with heavy foot traffic.)
- They place their phone into the machine, while the machine assures them that it will not damage the phone nor read/copy any personal data from the device
- The machine visually identifies the phone as best it can from a database of around 4,000 devices.
- The machine then uses some fancy AI and visual recognition trickery to scope the device for damage, and offers up a device-compatible cable connection which allows it to analyze whether or not the device boots.
- Based on the type of phone and the shape it’s in, ecoATM makes an offer.
- Users can then cash out (or cancel the transaction and get their phone back at any time), with the option to donate any percentage of the sale to any one of many charities.