Samsung may have been trying to catch up to sales of Apple’s iPad…but I think it held its own by selling 200 million of its Android tablet.
Question is will all those Galaxy Tab owners be getting an update to either Gingerbread or Honeycomb? (Answer: probably not…but it’d so awesome)
Press Release below:
SEOUL, Jan. 26 (Yonhap) — Samsung Electronics Co., the world’s second-largest maker of mobile phones, said Wednesday that it has sold more than 2 million units of the Galaxy Tab tablet computer within three months of its global debut.
Samsung achieved the sales figure this week as the company sells the 7-inch, Android-running tablet through some 200 mobile carriers in 94 countries, the company said.
About 500,000 units of the Galaxy Tab were shipped to Europe while 350,000 tablets were sold in North America and another 330,000 units in Asia.
The company launched the tablet in October to play catch-up with the iPad. Apple Inc. said last week that it sold 7.33 million iPads in the October-December period.
I have a few questions:
1. Will people feel comfortable buying a Sidekick after what happened in 2009? If you don’t remember its when the Sidekick servers crashing causing people with Sidekicks to lose all their data and making their phones very cool looking paper weights.
2. Who is the Sidekick going to be marketed towards? T-Mobile’s consumer brand is the MyTouch. The G series (G1, G2, G-slate) is the higher end series.
3. Would YOU buy a Sidekick? (Why or why not)
Samsung Sold 600,000 Tabs…but there’s no Newspaper
Its Thanksgiving Week!!!…which also means it’s Black Friday Week…which also means the holiday shopping experience is upon us. #Fact: I don’t really like shopping. #DoubleFact: I REALLY don’t like shopping when I can’t find a parking spot and the stores are packed. But that’s days are not here yet (although they will be soon), what is here however is some insightful stories about technology…so let’s get to the tech.
- Netflix changes its pricing structure and introduces a $7.99 streaming only plan. Now the streaming only Netflix is the same price as Hulu Plus, but the price to get DVD rentals has increased.
- The news on the street is that Steve Jobs and Rupert Murdoch are working on a iPad only newspaper. Cool, but what would that look like. TechCrunch has some ideas...
- The New York Times has an article about being young and growing up with technology. The always-connected generation is seeming always-distracted. Ironic?
- Saw this article at the beginning of the weekend about finding the killer apps on android. After reading this…I have some disagree fragments…but I pretty much agree.
- Didn’t realize that the Samsung Galaxy Tab has sold more than 600,000 units, maybe this will help to create some killer apps on Android.